Field Target Club

TRAC match – January19, 2021

Only three brave souls attended and shot today after the NWS called for a 40% “chance” of rain and winds out of the north at 10 mph.  Well, they got that right for once.  It rained prior to the match and briefly “spit” on us during set up.  The winds ended up being 12 to 14 mph with gusts up to 24 mph and primarily out of the north.  They shifted from 11:00 to 1:00 o’clock, with sudden shifts from 3:00 o’clock to 9:00 o’clock at times.  The windicator on my barrel was “snapping” it was blowing so hard.

We added yardage to counter the downward effect of the head on wind, but even the slight directional variance from left to right was blowing pellets as much as 2 to 3 inches from point of aim.  I actually had a split on the turkey head target where I was holding outside the KZ at 3:00 o’clock and split on the EDGE OF THE TARGET at 9:00 o’clock!  It wasn’t funny, but still had to laugh at the absurdity of it.  Mike actually asked as we were setting up this morning, “Are we crazy, or what?”

We shot anyway and somehow remembered lessons from previous matches, because the scores were not that bad!

Old man Mike shot 37/40 with his Thomas.

Wayne shot 34/40 with his Brocock Sniper.

Mark shot 31/40 with his 12 fpe Diana 54 springer.

Because of the threat of rain, we set up under the canopy today, and listened to the wind vibrate the daylights out of the corrugated sheet steel covering.  Our range liaison officer told me that they had gone over the roof and reattached screws that had pulled through in the past and loosened the cover.  He also asked if any panels were flapping.  None were, but it was interesting to note how strong the wind can be through there.

We set up our usual 5 lanes / 2 targets per / 2 shots each, but at half-time we left the targets where they were and just shot through again.  It was enough of a challenge as it was.  The temps for the match started somewhere in the 40’s and only warmed to 53 degrees F at the end of the match.  There was also no let up to the wind.  After warming up over burgers at Wild Horse West, it was still blowing hard outside.  One thing for sure, we are certainly getting plenty of wind practice….LOL.

This Saturday is our monthly match.  Check with the weather link on the club website for BASF to determine if you want to attend.  I have been told that work will be performed on, or under the canopy and we would be forward of that location for both sight-in and the match.  We’ll make a determination on that when we arrive on Saturday.  NWS calls for 70% chance of precipitation but only 1/10” to 1/4” of rain possible.  That will probably change towards the end of the week.

Just to get an idea of who is planning to attend, let me know via email if you are coming.  We may only set up 5 lanes and shoot through twice to save on set up and tear down times…….just in case.  Take precautions and bring raingear.  If you have it, it may not rain while we are shooting.  If you don’t have it, it is almost a guarantee that it will rain.  Funny how that works…..

Respectfully submitted,

Mark Kauffman

Secretary, Airgunners of Arizona, Inc.